Sunday, November 2, 2008

Let's Get ONE Thing Straight America...

John McCain did NOT choose Sarah Palin to be his running mate because she is an attractive, well put together, much younger woman. He chose her because she is qualified, intelligent, attractive, and a well put together much younger woman. Please note the difference.



Let's get real. Sarah Palin, before being selected as John McCain's running mate, had hardly any experience in politics, compared to say that of, Joe Biden. Palin was mayor of a town whose population was less than 9,000 people. She was governor of a state, that most Americans forget exists. Although I could find myself constantly focusing on the negatives that come with Sarah Palin, I will say that she has her upsides.

I personally find it incredibly unfortunate for Palin herself to be a female in this presidential election. Not only is she a conservative, but she is by far the most attractive running candidate in the entirety of this election, which has worked both for and against her. Because of her sex appeal, and somewhat bumpy interviews along the way, Sarah Palin, for the most part has been laughed at, degraded, and completely underestimated since the announcement of her vice presidency. Google it. Search it on YouTube. Hell, even watch the local and national news. There isn't really anything good that people have to say. Probably one of the reasons I swing so much to the left side. What ever happened to equal treatment of candidates? I realize this is basically an impossible task, but Biden has received much less hassle in this ordeal than Palin ever will.

I feel as though this is going to continue to happen until someone steps up and sets people straight. I do not agree with Sarah Palin. I do not agree with anything that she stands for. I do feel however that she deserves a fair shot in this election. I also feel that John McCain deserves that same right. Using Sarah Palin's sex appeal as an advantage in this election may or may not be included in John McCain's selection, but that is for no one to judge but himself. It was strategic. Most of us would agree, but there had to have been more to it than that.

I plan on continuing on with my thoughts on this topic, but in the meantime, I will leave you with this. Watch the video. Watch it closely. Its sad to see that people watch this to feel educated. Watching an edited news program for knowledge as well as entertainment. I will admit I laughed, but I know better. Some don't which is why America is where it is.

2 comments:

K. Reilly Smith said...

It is true that Palin is misrepresented in the media, but it is up to her to change that image and make people understand who she truly is. Being one of the first woman to run as a VP candidate, she must be aware of the challenges she faces. Unfortunately, we don’t live in a just society, so Palin has been receiving unfair and unequal treatment. However, instead of making herself seem stronger and against the stereotype, Palin is comforming to it. She pokes fun at herself on SNL and proves to America that she accepts what people think and feel about her. In my opinion, what she should really do Is justify why she should be the next VP. Using her education and experience, Palin should be able to prove to the American public why should deserves and is knowledgable enough to take on such a position.

What makes it so difficult for me, is that as a woman she is against representing and standing up for women’s rights. To vote for a candidate that has such a small outlook on life and wants to limit the power women can hold is unfortunate. It is becoming more and more apparent that her running has turned into a joke and is hard to take seriously. Being a woman in this election is difficult and not an easy task to handle. I feel that Palin has done a poor job is representing herself and doesn’t deserve to represent and provide a voice for the women in this country.

Morenita said...

Even though the video is quite humoristic it makes me realize how much our gender matters in this country. Society cannot get around the fact that a man and a woman cannot be partners unless they have a sexual attraction or even more with each other. As seen in the video McCain is intrigued by her looks rather than what she has to say which is implying that he is in love with her body. I agree I believe that he used Palin because she is attractive. I also think he choose Palin to show that he is willing to move past masculinity and have a woman as his vice-president. Therefore this will give him more votes from women. However society continues to imply that sexual desires or feelings have to be between a male and female in order for them to work well together.